Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sole Pomodoro – Wood-fired Pizzas

I read about Sole Pomodoro from ieatishootipost a couple of months back. That was close to the start of exams and immediately followed by the holiday season. So, for 2 whole months, I could only simmer in my anticipation for their pies. Therefore, it was only natural that on the first possible weekend, I headed straight there with the Sunday Brunch Club.

Unlike other wood-fired pizzerias in Singapore which uses partially gas-powered ovens, Sole Pomodoro distinguishes itself by using a fully wood-fired oven. It’s actually possible to see the chef having to top up the fuel rather frequently – the wood burns itself out much quicker than charcoal.


We shared 4 pizzas and most memorable were the Calzone Tradionalle and the Buffala. I thought the former would have been perfect as a hearty and satisfying breakfast pizza. I couldn’t recall what the exact toppings were but the egg inside, almost like a sauce, binded all the elements well. The top crust was charred but still tender, airy and aromatic – the Neapolitan style, according to literature. However, if I were to be picky about it, I would say that the crust on the underside was a touch too blonde for my liking.


Although I thought that the Margherita is supposed to be topped with buffalo mozzarella, Sole Pomodoro makes an apparent distinction between a Margherita (with basil) and a Buffala (without basil but with buffalo mozzarella). Presented with this difficult choice, I was keener to try out the latter. The buffalo mozzarella definitely set itself apart with a creamier texture and an almost yoghurt-like taste. It quite rightly demanded a solo performance on the pizza stage.



Towards the end, we were quite stuffed but still, we couldn’t resist a sampling of their Tiramisu. It was like eating a cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment